How long do cats live? 8 to 25 years old. It all depends on living conditions, nutrition, breed and genetic predisposition to longevity. In this article, you will find out how long cats live, depending on 6 different factors, how to extend their life, and what kind of food to choose for this. We will analyze in detail the longevity of cats and cats of different breeds, and answer frequently asked questions from the owners about the longevity of their furry pets. This article will be of interest to all pet lovers, especially cats.
Shortcut To Great Info On This Page
How many years do cats live?
Believe me, this question is difficult to answer, because there are many nuances. It is difficult to determine even how many years cats live on average because it depends on 5 factors. Even if you take into account all the nuances and calculate the arithmetic average for the 10 most popular breeds in Ukraine, you get the figure of 14 years.
We are talking about domestic cats, and not about their street “brothers” – they rarely live up to at least 8 years old. There are several reasons for this:
- There is a lot of competition with other cats and a constant struggle for territory.
- Hunger (especially in winter in sparsely populated towns or villages).
- Predators (cats are hunted by eagles, foxes, wolves, wild dogs).
- Accidents (a cat can be hit by a car or bitten by a poisonous snake).
- Epidemics and natural disasters.
- Genetics (since wild cats have lived for 10-15 years for many hundreds of generations (due to the first 5 reasons), they are not genetically predisposed to longevity).
In this article, we look at how long cats live at home. After all, it is very important for us that you know the life expectancy of your cat and understands how long you will be able to share both joys and troubles together. After all, the kitty is another full-fledged member of the family!
What factors influence how long cats live at home? How long does a British cat, Maine Coon, Cornish Rex, Sphynx live? Read on and find out!
What determines the life span of a cat?
It depends on 5 factors:
- Predisposition to chronic diseases, their actual presence or absence.
- Habitat conditions and climate.
Let’s take a closer look at each factor.
Domestic seals are strikingly different from wild fluffy “Mafiosi”: in behavior, gait, appearance, proportions of different parts of the body, coat length. But what lies at the heart of all these external signs? You guessed it – genes. Various ailments are transmitted to them “by inheritance”, which can significantly shorten life expectancy. These diseases occur in pedigree pets. To preserve the “purity of blood”, individuals are crossed with the closest relatives.
On the other hand, 4 breeds of domestic cats can boast of iron health:
- Maine Coon.
- Russian blue.
On average, cats of these breeds live from 13 to 21 years.
If the cat suffers from a chronic disease, neither the pats of the owners nor sweets nor a cozy ottoman in a warm corner of the kitchen will help him. Unfortunately, diabetes mellitus, upper respiratory tract disease, urolithiasis, and other diseases shorten the life of pets.
We have already written about the dangers that await a wild cat at every corner. What about domestic cats? The situation with them is even worse. Going out for a walk, at first, they do not even realize the danger, since they spent all their childhood in an apartment or house. The self-preservation instinct is poorly developed. Some cats, for example, have no idea that a dog or a stranger can be dangerous.
We do not recommend letting your pets go for a walk. Better to breathe fresh air with her, tied on a leash or harness. By the way, if the cat is small and light, you can carry it in your hands. And recently, strollers for cats are gaining popularity. In any case, it is better to play it safe and take care of the safety of the cat. Instead of dictating “ok google, how many years do British cats live”, extend the life of your pet by your presence on a walk!
Certain cat breeds may not be suitable for the climate. For example, a Briton is unlikely to like living in Singapore or the Solomon Islands, where it is very stuffy in summer due to extremely high humidity, and in winter it rains all day long. Many purebred cats are very vulnerable to diseases that are specific to a certain climatic zone (for example, typhoid, malaria, or tropical fever). Therefore, if you decide to move to Thailand for permanent residence and take your Angora cat with you, do not forget to vaccinate her.
By the way, living conditions are not only climate and environment. It is also the atmosphere in the house. If the cat is often stroked, say warm words to her, play with her, entertain, scratch her chin, or behind her ear, she will experience positive emotions. This is due to the release of serotonin and other substances into the bloodstream that reduces stress, rejuvenates, and prolongs life. It is very important that your pet is in a loving and nurturing environment.
Even if the owners do not offend the cat, but they themselves constantly arrange “showdowns” with each other and shout, this causes stress. Such a cat will never become a long-liver. Extending the life of a cat also means changing your character, improving family relationships, and creating an atmosphere of home comfort.
It is very important that the fluffy receives the necessary vitamins, micro-and macroelements in the right amount and every day. An unbalanced diet, fasting, or overeating will shorten the life span of cats.
Veterinarians advise buying ready-made formula, where all nutrients are carefully selected. Most Trusted Cat Food Brands:
- NOW Natural.
- Bosch SANABELLE.
- 1st Choice.
- Brit Premium.
- Arden Grange.
There are 2 types of ready-made feed:
We recommend alternating dry and wet food because dry food normalizes digestion and heals the oral cavity, while wet food reduces the risk of overeating and prevents the appearance of diseases of the genitourinary system.
It is recommended to give wet food in the morning and evening, dry food during the day. Do not mix them under any circumstances. Make sure that next to the bowl of food there is another one – with fresh purified water (artesian water will do).
How much does one portion of feed weigh? This is indicated on the manufacturer’s packaging. For example, dry food is given from 50 to 80 grams per day, depending on the composition.
Dry food pellets should be available to the pet at all times. After all, the kitty eats up to twenty times a day, but in small portions. This diet is most beneficial for the feline body.
Pedigree cats are picky about food, so it is best to alternate the tastes and textures of the food. For example: pate – jelly – sauce – cream soup, etc.
Please note that the feline body does not produce some substances on its own. It is especially important to get them with food:
And here is a list of 7 foods that should never be fed to domestic cats:
- Raw eggs.
- Raw meat.
Pedigree cats may not have enzymes that can break down all of the above foods. This can cause indigestion or intestinal obstruction. In addition, the composition of raw meat and eggs can contain E. coli or salmonella, and bones can lead to perforation of the gastrointestinal tract anywhere and even death. House cats are vulnerable and gentle creatures, so keep an eye on their diet.
If you are not a fan of cat food, indulge your cat with foods from your table that contain meat, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Be careful with milk – not all purebred cats can drink it, as they may not have lactase, a special enzyme for breaking down milk.
A cat should receive the set of vitamins and minerals that it needs most at a particular age. The diet of kittens and adults at the age of 1 to 7 years is different, and a special diet is selected for pregnant cats. Cats over 7 years old have their own preferences. All this must be taken into account in order for the kitty to live as long as possible.
How many years do British cats, Sphynxes, or Cornish Rex cats live if spayed? At least 2-3 years longer because the risk of contracting sexually transmitted diseases is completely eliminated. Cats do have such diseases, and some of them are deadly.
In addition, after sterilization, the risk of cancer is reduced. Hormonal disruptions that cause stress or heart problems in cats disappear.
On the other hand, sterilization has its drawbacks – the risk of diabetes or excess weight. However, if you monitor the cat’s diet and do not overfeed him, this can be avoided.
How many years different cat breeds live?
Unfortunately, it is impossible to accurately answer the question of how many years cats live at home, depending on the breed. In the table below, we have provided only average statistical data. However, the influence of other factors that we have listed above can significantly affect the life expectancy of furry animals.
So, let’s consider the average life expectancy of the TOP-20 of the most famous breeds of domestic cats.
|Breed name||Life duration (years)|
|Scottish Fold (Scottish Fold)||13-17|
How long do cats live by human standards?
This interesting and rather amusing information can be found in the table below.
|Cat Age||Corresponding Human Age|
|1 month||6 months|
|2 months||10 months|
|3 months||2 years|
|6 months||7 years|
|12 months||14 years|
|2 years||26 years|
|3 years||30 years|
|5 years||41 years|
|8 years||50 years|
|10 years||62 years|
|15 years||74 years|
|18 years||83 years|
|20 years||100 years|
How are these calculations done?
According to research by zoologists, at the initial stage of a cat’s life, one year is equivalent to 7 years of human life. At the same time, the first year is equal to 14 years, and the age of 2 years for a cat is already like 25-26 years for a person. Closer to old age, this proportion decreases. After the 10-year mark, the proportion is already 1: 5. Therefore, the age of 20 for a cat is like 100 years for a person.
And now the answers to 5 frequently asked questions regarding the lifespan of cats and cats:
- How many years do cats live (world record)? – The absolute world record was set by the kitty Puffy from Texas. She was born on August 3, 1967 and passed away at the age of 38. Since then, no other cat has yet surpassed Puffy in life expectancy.
- How many years do exotic cats live? – Individuals of the Persian-exotic breed live from 10 to 20 years, although there is a known case when a cat of this breed lived up to 30 years thanks to very expensive nutrition and proper care.
- How many years do cats live the maximum? – It all depends on the breed. According to statistics, Siamese cats are the longest-livers – they live up to 20 years, and some individuals lived up to 30 years.
- How many years do cats live without a breed? – Depending on the species, life expectancy ranges from 7 to 16 years. For example, a forest cat that lives in the north of Ukraine and in the Carpathians lives from 10 to 15 years.
- How many years do cats with a tumor live? – This again depends on the nature of the tumor and the age at which a benign or malignant neoplasm was found in the cat. On average, a cat’s lifespan is shortened by 3-4 months (if the tumor appeared at the age of 10-15 years) to 4-5 years (if it appeared at an early age).
6 tips to prolong your cat’s life
You yourself can increase the cat’s lifespan by following a few simple tips:
- Monitor your cat’s appearance, behavior, and well-being. If the fluffy began to eat little, behaves sluggishly – take him to the veterinarian. Especially if the cat’s skin begins to peel off. A sick cat becomes inactive, she does not move around the apartment but lies all the time. It will not be difficult for you to understand that she is sick and respond correctly. With age, cats get sick more often, so it is very important to take them to the doctor at the first suspicion of the disease, even if after the examination it turns out that the alarm is false.
- Pay attention to the cat, play with it, give it toys in the form of a clockwork mouse or a fluffy worm on a string. The longer the cat moves during the day, the better its hormones and blood supply, the better immunity and resistance to diseases. Such animals will live longer.
- Walk with your cat to protect it from dogs, malevolent people, or other cats.
- Sterilize your pet. We already wrote above that in this case cats and cats will live 3-4 years longer.
- Avoid unnecessary noise and screams in the house, give your pet love and create an atmosphere of mutual understanding and kindness in the family. Your love and care are the life-giving energy of youth for the furry!
Choose the right diet and diet for your pet’s age. How to do this, we wrote in the previous section.
By the way, during repairs in an apartment or in a house, it is better to take your pet to relatives. The loud noise of a falling ladder or jackhammer can lead to cardiac arrest in cats, especially pedigree cats. This should never be allowed.
Now you know how many years cats live on average, what factors affect life expectancy, how many cats of different breeds live, the age of a cat corresponds to the age of a person, and how to prolong the life of your pet. We wish you to enjoy life with your kitty for many more years! Murr Meow!